Thursday, October 8, 2015

Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Gomphrena
I have a new flower love. It's a variety of gomphrena called Strawberry Fields.


Strawberry Fields Gomphrena
You can see how it came by that name, as the flower resembles a small strawberry with tiny yellow seeds.


Strawberry Fields Gomphrena
I planted it in the middle of summer and it took the heat like a champ. It also survived a severe pruning by leaf cutter ants and bounced back strong.


Mexican Sage and Strawberry Fields Gomphrena
The red flowers, which attract butterflies, nicely compliment the purple Mexican sage it's planted next to...


Mexican Sage
which by the way, is extremely vibrant and showy right now.


Strawberry Fields Gomphrena
Strawberry Fields is just right for our little garden by the river--not too tall, not too bushy, beautiful, and hearty. It's my new flower love.

4 comments:

  1. Never seen either one but they sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are both especially pretty right now. Glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. I love his cheerful plant, especially in contrast to the purple blooms. The blooms almost look like it belongs to the clover or alfalfa family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look similar to clover. I don't know if they are in the same family or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

      Delete

Birdie Snaps commenters are the best!

I welcome and appreciate your thoughts on this post.

Check back here later for my reply or select the notify me box before publishing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...